Griffin (also grayhon, griffon) the mythical creature with an eagle's wings and a lion's body on side of Force sculpture.
The marble Beaux-Arts courthouse, in the style of an 18th-century English country house was built in 1896−1899.
The exterior features sculptures in white marble on subjects related to law. On the roof, there are single standing figure sculptures, depicting historical, religious, and legendary lawgivers. These statues are of the same height and proportion, are robed, and appear with various attributes associated with the law, such as book, scroll, tablet, sword, charter, or scepter.
The first statue on the Madison Avenue side is Confucius by with the Peace group in the middle, and Moses at the other end. Facing south on the 25th Street side is Zoroaster, which was along with all 25th Street statues moved down one bay when Mohammed was removed in 1955, following protests against this image of the prophet from Muslim nations
Next on this side is Alfred the Great, followed by Lycurgus and Solon. Next to Solon is the Justice set of sculptures and then three more statues: Saint Los and Manu, and Justinian.
At street level, "two pedestals holding two monumental seated figures" of Wisdom and Force flank stairs leading to a portico.
The Appellate Division Courthouse of New York State, First Department (also known as Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York) is a historic court house located at 35 East 25th Street at the corner of Madison Avenue, across from Madison Square Park, in Manhattan,
New York City.