St. John’s in the Village work one week in advance to record services during the coronavirus pandemic.
They are then published on the correct day on their youtube channel: www.youtube.com/stjvny
St. John’s in the Village Episcopal Church at 224 Waverly Place, NYC.
History of the church:
The church was founded in 1853. Fire destroyed the original classical revival style church building in 1972. Edgar Tafel, a colleague of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed the current church sanctuary. In the 1800’s, St. John’s in the Village led the way in New York City toward “free” pews. In the 1900’s, St. John’s in the Village led the way in New York City toward open inclusion of Gays and Lesbians in the worshiping community.
The church currently reaches out to the West Village community through excellent fine arts initiatives and special ministries to persons living with AIDS.