St. John’s in the Village Episcopal Church (224 Waverly Place, New York, New York 10014-2405, www.stjvny .org.
History of the church:
The church was founde in 1853 by Rev’d Lloyd Prator, Rector. Fire destroyed the original classical revival style church building in 1972. Edgar Tafel, a colleague of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed the current church sanctuary. In the 1800’s, St. John’s in theVillage led the way in New York City toward “free” pews. In the 1900’s, St. John’s in the Village led the way in New York City toward open inclusion of Gays and Lesbians in the worshipping community.
The church currently reaches out to the West Village community through excellent fine arts initiatives and special ministries to persons living with AIDS.